Jul 5, 2008

Testing...testing?

Greetings! In an effort to flatten my learning curve and to test the sharing capabilities between Photobucket and Blogger, I dropped in several brief 'slideshows' of past remote sports gigs as tests.

The first images are from the Olympics in Salt Lake City in Feb. of 2002. Unlike many of my colleagues who worked actual sporting events like skiing, or snowboarding, or ice skating... I worked at a venue called, The Medals Plaza, which was actually a really large concert hall built in the parking lot of the Morman Church. A small studio (we called it the Treehouse) was built on stilts some 35' in the air and I spent the month working two cameras; one inside the studio focused on our anchor, Pat O'Brien, and the other outside on the "porch," focused on the stage of our nightly medals ceremonies and then on a rock concert. The bands included Barenaked Ladies, Creed, Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters, Smash Mouth, Brooks & Dunn and Martina McBride to name a few... Indeed, while my friends froze their lens off up on the mountains, I chilled out with Mr. O'B everynight, passed out some heavy metal and shot a rock concert! You gotta love the craziness of TV!

The second slideshow has some pictures from golf's Ryder Cup when it was held at Oakland Hills just north of Detroit in 2004. I had started my teaching job by then but NBC was kind enough to invite me up for just the weekend coverage. And yes, that IS what camera operators (at least the older ones) do when they're waiting for golf to start!

And the last of the archive photos come from the US Open held at Shinnecock Hills GC on Long Island. My office for the week was the 10th green...

I plan to add several more to the archive in the coming days before I begin offering China pics. Stay tuned!

As always, thanks for stop’n in!

No comments:

Post a Comment